THE HAIR WHIP!

Your occasional source for heavy metal, progressive rock and hard rock coverage. Whenever I feel like it.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Top Ten Rush Songs

I've been a Rush fan since 1987. My first exposure to Rush was seeing their posters in a local record store, and hearing "The Big Money" on the radio. The first two albums I bought (on cassette) were Permanent Waves and Hold Your Fire. My first CD was Moving Pictures.

My first tour was Presto, (a.k.a. Attack of the Killer Rabbits) at the (then) Continental Airlines Arena. I've seen them 11 times since. With the Rush "Time Machine" tour barrelling across North America, it's time to do a list of my ten favorite songs by the world's greatest Canadian power trio.

Note: the top three songs on this list are part of the set list on the current tour, so apologies if you don't want tour set-list spoilers.

1) "Marathon" from Power Windows
2) "Presto" from Presto
3) "The Camera Eye" from Moving Pictures
4) "Double Agent" from Counterparts
5) "Prime Mover" from Hold Your Fire
6) "Xanadu" from A Farewell to Kings
7) "The Spirit of Radio" from Permanent Waves
8) "The Analog Kid" from Signals
9) "Driven" from Test For Echo
10) "Something for Nothing" from 2112

Please keep in mind that these are personal choices, not the "Best Songs Rush Ever Wrote" list. That's one I would not presume to do, because people would be mad at me for not including "Red Barchetta" or something.

Anyway, hope to see some of my fellow fans out at Jones Beach this weekend. I wonder if Rush's "Time Machine" stage set has Neil Peart playing drums in a giant hot tub? Now that would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment