THE HAIR WHIP!

Your occasional source for heavy metal, progressive rock and hard rock coverage. Whenever I feel like it.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ronnie James Dio 1942-2010


Ronnie James Dio, the diminuitive metal singer whose soaring tenor voice powered the music of Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven and Hell, passed away this morning due to complications from stomach cancer. He was 67.

In addition to his long and storied career (which included classic Black Sabbath albums like Heavan and Hell, and solo hits with his band Dio including "Rainbow in the Dark") Dio is credited with bringing the "horned hand" gesture to heavy metal. The salute, with thumb, index and pinky extended, is the traditional gesture of approval in metal circles. It originated as the mano corni, a traditional Italian gesture to ward off evil.

The full AP obituary can be read here.

I only saw Dio in concert on three occasions. Once, with his own band opening for Iron Maiden at the Bell Centre in Montréal. I thought he had a great voice, but never really counted myself as a "Dio fan." I admit it.



In 2007, I saw him play with Heaven and Hell at Jones Beach, on the tour they did with Alice Cooper and Queensrÿche. I was amazed by his powerful vocals, and backed by the power that is Mark II Black Sabbath, I was "converted." I was fortunate enough to see him again on last summer's Metal Masters tour, co-headlining with Judas Priest. He was in excellent voice and sang Sabbath classics like "The Sign of the Southern Cross" and "The Mob Rules" with power and ringing high notes.

Now, while I love metal, I also write about opera. Dio had one of the finest tenor voices I have ever heard. In another century, he would have been well suited to Puccini or maybe even Verdi. We have lost a powerhouse voice, and from everything I have ever heard about the man, a true gentleman.

Ronnie, we wish you Godspeed. Heaven's all-time rock band just got another great singer. And Hell better watch out, because the Mob Rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment