THE HAIR WHIP!

Your occasional source for heavy metal, progressive rock and hard rock coverage. Whenever I feel like it.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Incident Has Landed



The other day I'm home minding my own business--OK I was listening to Dream Theater--and the mailman arrived with a large, heavy package. Opening it, I discovered my Special Edition copy of the new Porcupine Tree opus, The Incident.

First of all, it's frickin' huge. The box is the size of an old-fashioned classical LP box, with the CDs in the covers of a heavy cardboard book which has full glossy pages of artwork and photographs. The whole is in a gray slipcase with the words "Porcupine Tree: The Incident" blown up to enormous size.

Second, the music. I haven't had time to digest the whole record yet, but this is another fine PT concept piece in the same vein as Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. Steven Wilson's concept was to examine news incidents that he saw on TV, from the perspective of the people experiencing those events, delving beneath the surface reporting into the real emotional depths.

If that sounds off-putting, consider this fine record as a solid collection of songs, with memorable choruses, hummable hooks, and many tributes to prog-rock godfathers Rush, Genesis and Marillion.

Full review as soon as I'm done listening to it but…damn.


Is that Tony Perkins on the cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment