THE HAIR WHIP!

Your occasional source for heavy metal, progressive rock and hard rock coverage. Whenever I feel like it.

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Cut-Out Bin: Galactic Cowboys



Thanks to the resources of Swap A CD I just got myself a new original-graphic copy of the debut CD by that great lost Texan band--the Galactic Cowboys! Now, the Cowboys never really hit it big, but lovers of thrashy prog-metal should nap themselves up a copy of their first record. From the opening cow moo (!) of "I'm Not Amused", the Cowboys declare their surreal purpose. Mexican-style acoustic strumming gives way to full-on power metal, until the chorus lunges into four-part Beatles-style barbershop harmony.

The seven-minute opener gives way to the gentle groove of "My School", the pro-environmental krunch of "Kaptain Krude" and the anthemic "Someone For Everyone". The second side, (think early King's X, but more earnest!) is a strange five-song suite culminating in the very spiritual "Speak To Me" complete with somewhat unnecessary clarinet solo and those heavenly harmonies taking the listener into orbit.

Unfortunately, this lineup of the Cowboys only recorded two albums together before getting dropped by DGC and losing guitarist Dane Sonnier. The second, Space in Your Face is damned difficult to find--and I'm not even sure if it's been reissued on CD. But if I find a copy, I'll be happy to write about it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment